Monday, June 24, 2019

One Nation,Not One Election

I am naturally one nation 
Strengthened by division. 
My ravishing regional steams 
And neutral national themes,
Hold my dynamic torch,
For a dauntless democratic march.

My children may not live cheek by jowl;  
But they turn the other cheek, 
To cracks and conflicts,for a cocktail.
They speak a galaxy of tongues;
But when the national alarm reaches its peak,
They never speak with their tongue in cheek.

My monsoons may be branded as two;
But my meme tunes have many a hue.
My sons travel with caste slogans, 
On communal wagons,cutting across my soil.
Faith or no faith,all take oath while being sworn in.
Before and after the swearing in,there is a lot of din.

Every time,when rings the eerie election bell, 
A series of gimmicky voices sound pell mell.
How many times will my children shout,
To tweet their 'ideals'straight and stout?
Each election is a fertilizing game,generating
Fresh hopes,failing in the hands of sterile scopes.

Vocal cords camouflage voters' aspirations, 
By grabbing their votes,through cahoots of 
currencies,crackers,and contrived cacophonies,
Or by tickling their pure patriotic nerves, 
Against the hellbent,hostile neighbours.

The aftermath of any election is to reach
Altitudes against slopes,meant for rivals.
I am certainly one nation,against one election.
If national schemes do not match regional dreams,
How right are the one nation one election screams?

P. Chandrasekaran.

No comments:

Post a Comment