Sunday, June 21, 2015

The Woes of English.

       The Pangs of a British Legacy.

"My users have a hell of lot, to do with me.
A few decades ago, they were my mirror.
I looked fabulous, when I saw myself through them;
Today they are causing blisters on my face
With their killing,keyboard manoeuvres.
Whenever they wantonly skip an alphabet,
I feel like losing one of my limbs,in an accident.
When they love to be ungrammatical,
They seem to put me in a casualty ward ;
At times,even in the intensive care unit,
With an internal organ failure,for urgent care.
How beautiful I looked in the hands of
A Shakespeare or Milton,a Johnson or Russell,
A Dickens or a Hardy,or an Ayn Rand,for instance.
Even the Dailies who loved my original looks,
Have begun to tamper with my alphabet,
On account of their electronic arrogance.
What they want is,how I am understood.
And not how appealing,the understanding should be.
I have become What T.S. Eliot once said,of them..
‘A heap of broken images and a withered stump of Time.’
The letters of my alphabet are crossed like their fingers.
Why a generation with neat,new and nice ideas,
Should choose to clothe them in rags,as a fashion?
Why this poverty of language,for a purpose peculiar?
Should my sentences,face an undue Death Sentence?"
P. Chandrasekaran.



2 comments:

  1. The agony of the teacher of English is brought out very well in the poem when the language is not used as it should be used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly!.A devoted English teacher is like a child devoted to its mother.The agony you mention here, is similar to that of a child when its mother is defamed.

    ReplyDelete